The sexuality of a lace pant or provocativeness of a sensual silk brief sometimes just doesn’t compare to the practicality and convenience of a classic big knicker! We’re all guilty of owning an unflattering boy short in a eccentric print; often with a cartoon character or a shameful slogan on or a super unflattering, high-waisted shaping brief that we live in fear of being seen in. However, despite the unsightly stigma surrounding big pants; they’re pretty much our BFF’s and our first pick from the knicker drawer (almost) every time!
However, I have recently become the butt (excuse the pun) of all bum jokes in the office since a certain lunch trip a few weeks ago where I flaunted my big knicker clad bum at the entirety of our local town. Walking down the main road in a summery skater dress, almost everyone passing beeped their horn or shouted, turning to Abigail I was all like ‘Yeah, everyone does this around here!’ thinking I was almost certainly ‘working it’. My ego was crushed however, when a man in a van pulled over and shyly informed me that I was in fact exhibiting my bright white floral granny panties at passers-by and they were visible from two miles down the road. Having gotten over the humiliation of my ugly pants having put everyone off their dinner time BLT, the optimist in me came out and figured ‘at least I wasn’t wearing tiny pants!’ exploitation of my bare skin could have been wayyy worse than faded florals!
So with this experience in mind I aim to advise my fellow big knicker fan girls on ways to avoid the inevitable Bridget Jones moments, or at least get through it without losing so much pride.
1. For control and shaping without the unattractive aesthetic, the Envy collection from Panache adopts the classic and iconic use of dog-tooth and fashions it with sheer side panels and jacquard detailing in a high-waisted brief. The sensuality of the Envy whole-heartedly disguises the controlling properties of the brief, creating a shaper that looks just like luxe and lavish lingerie. If you happened to flash these babies, it wouldn’t be the biggest crime.
2. Big Knickers are often chosen over pretty thongs and briefs for their comfort, let’s be honest! The Freya Deco range, most notably popularised for their moulded bras and cleavage enhancing plunge effect, also offer a range of co-ordinating briefs and shorts. The short from the Deco range offers fuller coverage and a mid-rise in a range of colours, prints and fabrics, most completely seamless to minimise VPL. My favourite is the new-in, Freya Deco Short in Charcoal, a clean structure in a fresh and contemporary neutral colour-way that’s super comfy and indisputably sleek.
3. Kristen Stewart, Kim Kardashian and Beyonce have all flashed their Spanx on the telly at some point with a cheeky peak of their thigh slimming shapewear. To try and avoid unwanted exposure of your shaping undergarments, try out the Spanx Slim Cognito Shaping Bodysuit, incognito shapewear that’s effectively invisible under clothing. The bodysuit can be fastened to your bra for full control and hold, with a built-in cotton gusset, high-legs and bottom pockets to firm, slim and clinch inches from your waist. Available in black and nude the control brief is discreet and seamless, with high legs to avoid flashing. However, if you wish to follow the celebrity suit; this also comes in a thigh-shaping option too!
4. Big Knickers are not always ugly and unattractive, despite what you may of heard from the people that witnessed by exhibition. Freya Lingerie are renowned for their pretty prints, cute motifs and striking colour-ways; with sets that are too comfy to avoid and too beautiful too hide. The Freya Tropics, Flourish, Patsy, Hopscotch, Thimble Cottage and Jungle Fever offer a selection of sheer shorts printed in a variety of fun, flirty and feisty prints. Who said big knickers can’t be sexy?
5. Naomi&Nicole are shapewear specialists that focus on using luxurious fabrics and stylish cuts. The High-cut brief in Black and Nude is an every-day kinda shaping brief, executed in an ultra-soft fabric. The brief effectively pulls in the tummy and firms your bum comfortably and discreetly. The high-legs and clean cut and shape of this brief is simple and elegant and if you do so happen to flash your pants in this brief, everyone will be more impressed by your toned and shapely bum that they will hardly notice your pants!
So now i've officially bared more than just my pants! Let me know what you think on the Big Knicker situations and browse Bras&Honey for more underwear options.
Big Knickers Forever!